Friday, January 22, 2010

July 17th, 1944





Dear Mother,

I am feeling fine and doing ok. I am at the USO in camp and it is a good place to spend part of your time.

It had been a hot day and I took it rather easy. I had a pretty good job worked in a wear house. The job was rather easy.

I hope you can read this letter I am trying to type and doing a rather poor job. I am in the library. The typewriters you pay a dime and type as long as you want to. I am typing with an Underwood (*1) like the one at home.

It was a really big bunch shipped out today. And I don’t know when I am going to ship soon I hope and closer to home any where so it is in the states. But the roomer is we are all going over I hope not because I am not ready. A big bunch in the infantry shipped going across had the over sea bag and all combat equipment and it really looked tough.

I hope you are getting my letters pretty quick because it makes a person feel good when he gets a letter from home.

Love

Sam

*1: The Underwood Typewriter company was founded in 1895. Like many other machine factories during WWII, Underwood not only produced typewriters, but M1 Carbines. With exception, this is the weapon carried by most support troops in WWII, including medics. Also of note, before WWII, Underwood built the world's largest typewriter which was subsequently used for scrap metal after the US joined the war.

These letters are displayed in reverse-chronological order. Click here if you want to start from the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment