Thursday, January 14, 2010

8:30 Monday Night, Sept 11, 1944

*on this day, 9/11/1944, Allied troops have broken through German lines and invade Germany itself.





My dearest Sam,

Your dad and I were really glad to get your letters today and I’m glad you are getting plenty to eat. I hope you got the box I sent last Friday.

Helen told me she got a letter and I gave her a quarter to see that you get the school paper (The Spirit of O.H.S)(*1) she says she will see that you get it. I met Bobbye Richardson on the street and she said she got a nice letter from you today and that she is going to write you everything. I told her I know you would really appreciate it.

Reeder left last night going back to camp McCall and Frances left this morning on the Rebel (*2) going to M.S.C.W. Mrs. Mc said they nearly spent the night at the depot. She talked like Reeder is going overseas pretty soon. Said he wishes now he had gone cross sooner so he would be coming home sooner and not have to stay away so long with the Army of Occupation.

Denny Garner came in to tell me about going to Fort McClellon Saturday. Louie got a pass and they went back to Birmingham Saturday then they took him back to camp Sunday and they came home today. Says the training is awfully hard but Louie is really in a nice camp. Said he even lay down in Louie’s bed. They didn’t eat with them tho like we did.

There have been lots of soldiers, sailors, and marines on the streets today but I just didn’t know them.

School opened and the kids have nearly run us crazy – and it being so wet all the country people have been in town all day.

Write soon and lots news-

Lots love,

Mother


*1: Okolona High School

*2: The Rebel

The Rebel train began its career in 1935 providing service between New Orleans and Jackson, TN. In 1937 a third Rebel train was added with an extended route from Mobile, AL through Union, MS, and in 1942 its route was expanded all the way through St. Louis, MO. The train was scrapped in 1962.


^^^These letters are displayed in reverse-chronological order. Click here if you want to start at the beginning.^^^

No comments:

Post a Comment