Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Dear Mother and Dad 8/4/1944






Dear Mother and Dad,

Another day has gone and I did the same old thing sat around and drove 30 miles. It is really hot here and I am really getting brown as a Mexican.

There is no news here and they are really shipping the men out by the thousand. They would ship more but can’t get enough trains for the shipments and the bunch left today went to Tex and Louisana, and Miss. I really hope they send me in the States I have already seen enough water to last me all my life.

Today I drove for the 3rd Battalion and hauled Captains around. Went to the ??? That is where the men ship from and the band was there playing and the men marched to the train. Wore steel helmets, full field pack and gas mask. The men left this week went to the states and next week the men ship will go across.

How is business at the store? Have they finished the front of the store and how does it look?

I went to a UAO show and saw some movie stars and it really made me feel better forgot all my troubles and I enjoyed it a hole lots.

Love,
Sam

PS
Tell dad to stay off his leg as much as possible.

-This day in WWII History-

*after years of hiding, diarist Anne Frank and her family are betrayed to the German Police.

No comments:

Post a Comment